Electrical & PAT Testing

PAT testing will be carried out, at a reduced cost per item (as agreed), with no call out charge, whilst covered by a maintenance contract.

  

The importance of PAT Testing

PAT Testing or PAT Inspection, formally known as Portable Appliance Testing, is something most people will have heard of; however we have found that many UK residents are unclear on its purpose, costs and frequency.

As property maintenance specialists working across South East London, we are well versed in the ‘ins’ and ‘outs’ of PAT Testing and it is a service we offer to all of our clients.

A consideration for employers and landlords, put simply, it is the testing of all portable electrical appliances and equipment to ensure employees’ and tenants’ safety.

Without making PAT Inspections compulsory, the law requires an employer or landlord to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger – although, for most, a test carried out professionally is the best way to determine and guarantee this safety.

PAT Inspections originate from The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, which states: "every employer shall ensure, that work equipment is maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair."

Under current regulations, those who do undertake PAT Inspections are not required to do so under any time restraints. Testing timeframes depend on the appliance itself and the nature of the environment in which it is being used. That being said, annual testing seems to be the preferred choice for many employers and private landlords, ensuring maximum safety.

Currently overseen by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), PAT Testing covers any portable appliance in a working area. Therefore, anything from kettles and microwaves to printers and computers fall under this remit.

Portable Appliance Testing consists of numerous tests; the most basic of these are visual - for example, looking for obvious signs of damage like frayed wires or cracked plugs. According to the HSE, this process can find approximately 90% of faults – the other 10% or so is usually covered by a range of additional tests that require PAT training.

To ensure the peace of mind that your staff and tenants are not subject to any unnecessary risks, and as many insurance companies insist on a full PAT Testing before renewal of a policy, the benefit and importance of Portable Appliance Testing is clear.

At JH Building and Maintenance, we carry out Portable Appliance Testing at a reduced cost per item, with no call out charge, whilst covered by a maintenance contract.

We will provide a list of appliances tested on the day and records of all tested equipment will be available on file at your request.

To find out if your appliances need testing, or for any other information on the building services that we offer, please contact us on: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , or call us on: 0208 697 5622.